Thursday, July 31, 2008

Bigstuf- Day 4

Well, rain again. This time, we got about 20 minutes of free time after eating lunch and getting our picture taken. Then, it started coming down in sheets. The good part about today was that there was no thunder or lightning (at least at first), so we had 20 minutes of clouds and 20 minutes of rain- hard, driving rain- the kind that stings when it hits you. But since we'd had precious little time in the ocean since we'd been here, a few hardy souls stuck it out and suffered through. Then, the lightning came and the place cleared out quickly. So, all in all this week, we've had about 2 hours of sun. Monday - 45 minutes, Tuesday - 45 minutes, Wednesday- 10 minutes, today - 20 minutes. For the first time ever, I'll come back with less of a tan than I had when I left. But that's not what's important.

This morning was really incredible. We started with the Daraja Children's Choir from Nairobi, Kenya. This is not the best picture - I'm sure some of the students took better ones.



Then, Francis Chan challenged us all with what it means to Do unto the least of these. It was unbelievably stretching, and I'm not quite ready to talk about what it did to me, yet.

We did get to meet James David Carter from the Bigstuf band before the rain came. Many of the girls were excited by that. And, he was a genuinely nice and patient guy. This despite the fact that every girl wanted her own picture taken with her own camera even though I swore that I could send them one from my camera that would be just as good. Digital generation my foot.



Well, this will be the last post "live" from Bigstuf. We have the long worship session tonight, and we leave for the airport early tomorrow morning. I hope you've enjoyed following our trip here. Feel free to leave comments. I'll try to get more stories up when we get back. Until then, peace.

No comments: