Monday, July 21, 2008

No room for me

When Solomon finished praying, a bolt of lightning out of heaven struck the Whole-Burnt-Offering and sacrifices and the Glory of God filled The Temple. The Glory was so dense that the priests couldn't get in—God so filled The Temple that there was no room for the priests!- 2 Chronicles 7:1-2 (The Message)

Imagine what a sight this was to see... the temple, newly constructed for God... so filled with his presence, that no one could enter. Now imagine what the church would be like if it were so filled with God's glory that there was no room for people- at least, no room for the imperfect humanness that is part of who we are. Imagine if The Church invited the Holy Spirit into its presence every week and moved it's own human wants, needs, desires, passions, pursuits, agendas, opinions, and flaws out of the way to make room for God's glory to fill the whole space.

Now, imagine if I did the same thing. Imagine if I moved my desires, sins, and flaws so far to the side that I made room for God's glory to fill me up so completely and perfectly that in the end, there was no... room... for... me. How cool would that be?

"Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all."
-Issac Watts, When I Survey the Wondrous Cross, 1707

1 comment:

Steve Davis said...

That would be cool, indeed.