Monday, July 7, 2008

Four reasons I hated "Wall-E"

First, you need to know I'm a huge fan of Pixar. I love sitting and watching "Cars" with my girls, and I've been known to watch "Monsters, Inc." when there were no kids in the room. Which is precisely why I volunteered to take my girls to see "Wall-E" this weekend. It's also why I was so disappointed.



So, pretending you care, I'll lay out what I saw as the flaws to the movie.

(1) It was hard to follow. The story is told backwards in a way, which can be creative for adults, but very hard for kids to know what's going on. "Why does Wall-E live in a junkyard?" was a common question from my 6-year-old throughout the movie. Most of the characters weren't well-developed, and there were way too many robots, most of whom you never really knew what side they were on. I had a hard time following it, so I know my girls were confused.

(2) Way too political. The earth covered in garbage. People so lazy their bones have degenerated into nearly nothing. Large corporations taking over the earth. Over the kids heads.

(3) Very sad. Wall-E is a lonely robot living a lonely existency picking up trash. His only friend for most of the movie is a cockroach- the last remaining vestige of civilization on earth. The robot he "falls in love with" tries to kill him for a good part of the movie. The whole movie just has a melancholy undertone... not a real feel-good pic for kids.

(4) It's really hard for me to get too excited or motivated about a cautionary tale of the end of civilization on earth. Don't get me wrong- I recycle everything I can. I think it's really important to take care of the earth God created for us. But, I've read the end of the story-- this place is goin' down.

Sorry to be a buzzkill first thing on Monday morning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Religious people depress the hell out of me.

Yes, forget the world, you don't have to care, G-d will restore everything anyhow. That's faith for you, being absolved of any responsibility about anything at all. Just believe in the magic pixie in the sky, and you get ever lasting life, and this world, well, it doesn't matter one bit. Heck, you know the end of the story, if we kill everything off on the planet, who cares?

It's not as if this might be the only place in 24 billion light years of space where life might exist, and humanity ruined it up because of wonderful, unwavering faith.

I mean, why would anybody be dumb enough to believe what science has to say? What has science accomplished? All it's done is more than double the average human lifespan, make computers possible, drastically reduced disease, and made it possible for us to see 13 billion light years into space with the Hubble telescope. Who would be dumb enough to think what science has to say might be worth listening to? It's not as if science has done anything useful ever.

And anyhow, how could mere science possibly compare to a book that the writers claim G-d Himself wrote? Surely there is no possibility they may have been false prophets or just plain religious charlatans taking advantage of desperate or emotionally lost people? I mean, it's not as if anybody has done that today, or that anybody would be so immoral as they could conceive of doing it anyhow, ever. I mean, look at the Church of Scientology, they are utterly sincere and would never take advantage of people just so that the leaders could be incredibly wealthy.

Religion depresses the hell out of me.

Steve Wallen said...

Man, fuzzywzhe, I'm so sorry if you've been burned by "religious" people or the church. I would never say people who believe science are dumb, or that believing in God and believing in science are mutually exclusive.

What I do see is that there are holes in the science of evolution that no one anywhere has been able to explain, at least not well enough for me to understand.

For instance...if the laws of physics in existence now have always been in existence, which most reasonable scientists believe; and, if an object at rest tends to stay at rest unless acted on by an outside force, as most scientists believe; and if all the matter that now makes up the universe existed at one time in a gigantic mass before the "Big Bang," as most scientists believe... then what caused the "Big Bang?" What acted on this ball of matter if all matter was inside the ball? If nothing did, then why were the laws of physics suddenly suspended for a few microseconds and then they reasserted themselves? If it was just energy building up, then what caused the first reaction? Remember, nothing existed outside the mass.

What piece of mineral that always exsited was the first to become a vegetable? What was the first vegetable to become an animal? How did this evolutionary process happen? Does it still happen now? If so, where? If not, why not?

500 years ago, "science" told us the world was flat. 100 years ago, science believed malaria came from swamp gas. What science says keeps changing... so how can it always be right?

My faith is strong, but not unwavering. But, what I've found in my life is that the Bible has tended to give me more answers in all areas of my life than any other belief, scientific or otherwise. That's why I choose to believe the entirety of it.

And by the way, I do believe this world matters. What we do, what we say, how we live, how we treat people - it all matters. But, I agree with you that it's temporary.

Steve