Monday, July 21, 2008

The curse of the teacher

So, I'm feeling some pressure now.... One of the things I love to do is teach the word of God. But, I always get nervous preparing a message- much more so than actually delivering it.

Well, now, I'm scheduled to close our Parable series at Genesis Church on August 3. I need to choose one parable and teach about it. How do you do that? There are so many great stories that Jesus used to teach about the Kingdom of God... how do you pick just one?

The curse of the teacher is this... do I pick what I want to teach about, what God has been building in my life? Or, do I try to discern what the people in the church are needing to hear and build on the (already terrific) messages that have gone before? I think all I can do, if I want to be effective, is take what God gives me and pray that it will speak to people - even one person.

Okay, I'm rambling, but it helps me think... anyone else feel inadequate?

2 comments:

Steve Davis said...

Totally. And, at least for me, I pray for both. I pray that God will make me interested in, will draw me to, what the church body needs. And that's what I'll pray for you.

Jim Vieceli said...

Steve- Love the blog. It gives me some ideas for mine.

I think you made a wise choice. This is exactly how the church is supposed to work. The Holy Spirit, as He is doing his work in the individual members, will give those he gifts to teach a teaching that He has designed for the ears of those who will receive it. Look at Lydia, whose heart the Holy Spirit opened that she attended unto the things which were spoken by Paul (Acts 16:14)

We had a small group, where we would study a book of the bible unguided during the week. When we came together, you wouldn’t believe how the Holy Spirit would teach something to someone, for the benefit of someone else. This is the way our spiritual gifts work. They are not for us but for the church.

Thank you for being faithful to what He is doing in your life.