Thursday, July 24, 2008

Send me someone to serve

I read one time in a book (sorry that I can't remember where... I'd love to give credit where it's due), that often when we're feeling selfish we should make this our prayer: "Lord, if it pleases you, send me someone I can serve today."

On the drive to Deer Creek Community Church yesterday to participate in "One day- One neighborhood," that was my prayer.

So I get assigned to this project of putting vinyl siding on an old home. This home currently has asbestos shingle siding, and it's been like that ever since I first moved to Noblesville (1992). It also happens to be a "gateway" home in that it is in a highly visible location on a heavily-traveled street where people enter the southwest quadrant of the town. As I was re-learning the fine art of nailing plastic to a wall, I felt pretty good about myself and this thought kept going through my mind: "Wow, I am such a blessing to this family, this house, this neighborhood." Yeah. I know.

After lunch the owner came home- an older lady. I recognized her right away. She looked at me and made a b-line for me and pointed. "Hey, I know you'" she said, almost like Martin Short in the SNL sycronized swimmers sketch.

Corky is retired, but she was a waitress at Pizza Hut. For 25 years. For at least a dozen of those years, I went with a group from work to that very same Pizza Hut, and we were nearly always served by Corky. Then, I felt humbled. I mentioned to my siding partner that this woman had served me for 12 years, it was great that I got to serve her for one day.

He looked at me, deadpan, and said, "So, are you going to call it even after today?"

Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.- 1 Peter 4:10

No comments: