Saturday, August 2, 2008

Amazing things on Day 4 of Bigstuf

Well, we're back. I've spent most of the day working on my sermon for tomorrow, reflecting on what happened the last day of camp, and sleeping off my Bigstuf hangover.

Some really amazing things happened on day 4, some of which you already read about. Many of them actually spilled into day 5, though, so I'll tell you about them now, and hopefully post pictures later.

First, we had at least four of our students that decided to adopt a child through Compassion International. This is an amazing way to make a huge difference in the life of a child for about a dollar a day. These kids were compelled by Matthew 25 where Jesus says, "Whatever you do for the least of these, you do to me." But, I thought teens were just caught up in themselves, and what they should wear, and how they should look, and what songs and games and electronic devices they have. Not all of them.

Next, in the evening session, Jared Herd went through the entire story of God, from Adam and Eve, to the tower of Babel to the birth of Jesus, to the cross and resurrection. An amazing story still. When he finished, he asked if anyone wanted to enter a relationship with Jesus for the first time, and two of our students stood up and made that commitment. Then, after a long and meaningful discussion, I mentioned if either of the students that made that commitment wanted to be baptized, we could go do that in the Atlantic Ocean. We all got dressed and ran (quietly) out to the beach. We ended up baptizing SEVEN students in the Atlantic- some were first times, and some were re-committing. So, at 1:30 AM on Friday, we were standing in the Atlantic Ocean watching teen after teen publicly proclaim their lives for Christ. God is amazing!

(Note to parents: yes, I considered what you might say about your child being baptized at a time and place where you couldn't see it. I was worried about what you might say. Then I considered what Jesus might say when I die if I didn't do it, and all my concerns disappeared. I'm sorry if you're upset, but I'm not sorry we did it. We do have pictures I'll post when I get them...)

Parents and Genesis Church folks: thanks so much for those of you who kept up with our trip here. I invite you to come back... I usually post 3-4 times per week, and right now I am gathering my thoughts as I read through the bible this year. Several of my posts here have/will turn into sermons in the future, so you can have a head start!

Peace! Steve

No comments: