Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Public apology to a flight attendant

So, to our flight attendant Larraine, I just want to say, "I'm sorry." No, I didn't yell and scream at her, as I'm sure some have done. I didn't insult her or act like a child or do anything to make her job more difficult. In fact, she probably doesn't even realize I feel like I owe her an apology.

Let me tell this story. On the flight from Houston to Brownsville Monday, Larraine was working her wings off to get pretzels and drinks to about 60 passengers crammed into a flying sardine can far from home. The flight is only 47 minutes, so she already had her work cut out for her when we started. Then, she experienced a beverage cart malfunction. Specifically, the cart's brakes failed and whenever she would park at a row to take drink orders, the cart would begin migrating toward the back of the aircraft like it had to use the john. Fortunately, she got to my row and served me before this happened. Then, she realized that holding the cart with one hand while pouring drinks with the other wasn't working. The obviously flustered attendant then had to come over the PA System, announce what had happened, apologize to the whole of the cabin, and turn into a waitress, taking drink orders on a notepad.

This is where the thought entered my mind- "Get up and help her." Really, how hard can it be? If you read this occasionally, you know I sometimes pray, "God, if it pleases you, send me someone to serve today." Well, this was my chance. He delivered unto me, not just a young flight attendant to serve, but the back half of an angry airplane. But all of a sudden, my water got tastier, my book got more interesting, the seat belt sign gleamed more brightly, and my rear stayed glued to my seat. I tried not to look up so I'd have to witness the obvious torment this experience was putting her through. Of course, she eventually had to give up and apologize to the last five rows of the plane or so, and all because I was too stubborn/proud/embarassed to serve.

So, for that, I'm sorry, Larraine. Though, maybe she's not the one to whom I should be apologizing.

No comments: