Friday, August 8, 2008

How much do you trust?

Hezekiah rallied the people, saying, "Be strong! Take courage! Don't be intimidated by the king of Assyria and his troops—there are more on our side than on their side. He only has a bunch of mere men; we have our God to help us and fight for us!"
Morale surged. Hezekiah's words put steel in their spines. -2 Chronicles 32:6-8 (The Message)

God is on our side. They have only men. Would these words give you courage? Would this idea be enough to give you "steel in your spine" as Eugene Peterson translates it?

I always know I should trust God, and I really do believe that His purpose is greater than all others - that His will will be done above all. Still, I often want to take things in my own hands. Make sure I'm prepared enough. Make sure I've studied the issue enough. It's as if I sometimes think that God doesn't know what I need to make it through and issue, and when someone says "God is on our side" I still wonder if that's enough.

The interesting part about this passage, and most others, is the theme that we are to "take courage." I will often pray for courage from God, but scripture is consistent in calling us to have courage. In other words, it seems courage is not something God gives us in response to prayer, but something we are to offer to show our trust in God. If I believe God is who He says He is, and I follow Him and believe I am in the center of His will, then I should have courage. I need to be still and KNOW that HE is GOD.

And that, my friends, puts steel in my spine.

No comments: