Wednesday, August 20, 2008

What should we pray?

From time to time, I have an opportunity to get together with friends and pray. Recently, it struck me that maybe we're not spending this time in the most effective way.

As I was thinking about the things we were praying for, I noticed a serious lack of substance- good weather for a particular event, that suitcases wouldn't get lost during travel, for a missionary to find a good deal on a car. Really? We're praying for cars and suitcases now?

Don't get me wrong- I know God wants to hear the desires of our hearts. I know that what's important to us is important to him. But most of us don't spend the entire day in prayer, even if we should. Shouldn't we be using this time for a greater purpose? What about praying for people who are far from God - our hearts should break for them. What about people who are hopelessly lost in addictions or abuse? What about praying for the poor and marginalized, and seeking wisdom on how to help them? Have we really gotten so self-absorbed that we're praying for suitcases?

Somebody help me.

No comments: