Tuesday, June 3, 2008

When push comes to shove

Many people did believe in him, however, including some of the Jewish leaders. But they wouldn’t admit it for fear that the Pharisees would expel them from the synagogue. For they loved human praise more than the praise of God. -John 12:42-43

The Parisees loved human praise more than the praise of God. Some events in my life lately have left me to question which is more important to me. My friend Steve (who may be reading this) took a test one time that said he has an abnormally high need for recognition. I'm glad he took it before me, because now I can dodge it and no one will ever know.

I love the praise of man. I crave it. I try to deny it, but I'm a prideful man. In the version of the bible called The Message, verse 43 above says this, "When push came to shove they cared more for human approval than for God's glory."

I know God. I trust God (mostly). I want Him to be glorified. But, when push comes to shove, which do I want more? Something to work on....

No comments: