Wednesday, June 11, 2008

For whom to root in Eugene?

Maybe you don't follow track and field except for every 4th August. If that's the case, you may not know that the US Womens 10,000 meters field will be loaded with talent at the USATF Olymic Trials in Eugene, Oregon June 27-July 6. Among the women competing in that event are Shalane Flanagan, the current US record holder in the 10,000, Kara Goucher, Jen Rhines, Katie MacGregor, and Blake Russel, who has already qualified for the marathon in Bejing. But, with all of these talented women, it will be hard for me not to root hard for Alicia Shay when the gunshot echoes throughout historic Hayward field on June 27.

If you don't know, Shay's husband Ryan died during the Olympic men's marathon trials in New York City last fall. After that totally unexpected and tragic event, Alicia's training obviously suffered. But, she has remained steadfast in her faith and has been a stellar example of how to deal with adversity. In the article linked above, she says, "When something like this happens, you're stripped down to the core. What remains is what you believe, what's at your foundation. At a time where I should be angry at God and angry that this happened . . . I'm in awe with the love of God and how he has carried me. I'll get to the point where I feel like I can't breathe, and every time God picks me up. He just keeps meeting me right at the point of my need. That's something you can't learn in Sunday school."

In the meantime, she helped Saucony establish the Ryan Shay Fund, to honor her late husband's passion to help disadvantaged individuals, groups, and communities, as well as to fund American distance runners in need. Here is some video of the event.



Sooooo, if you don't already have your favorites to go to Bejing, please think about spending 32 minutes of your life rooting for Alicia Shay on June 27.

For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.- Jeremiah 29:11

No comments: