Thursday, June 19, 2008

No, really. Who would?

If you, God, kept records on wrongdoings,
who would stand a chance?
As it turns out, forgiveness is your habit,
and that's why you're worshiped. - Psalm 130:3-4 (The Message)

I wouldn't. Would you?

When I was in grade school, the teacher always threatened that if I got in trouble, it would go on my "permanent record." I'm not sure what this was, but I assume it's still around, maybe in the National Archives, since it's permanent. I can't imagine what's in there, but I'm sure the 94-year-old librarian in the musty book stacks where it's kept could help me find out.

I for one am so very thankful that they're aren't report cards in the kingdom of God. Don't get me wrong - I know that someday I'll stand before my maker and have to answer to what I did or didn't do to build his kingdom. But I have great assurance that all the stuff I do is removed from my "permanent record." How about you?

No comments: