Thursday, June 12, 2008

Other than a "for rent" sign...

Question for the day. In his latest book, Pop Goes the Church, Pastor/Author Tim Stevens asks the question, "If your church were to disappear tomorrow, would anyone even notice?" Other than the people who would now meet at Bob Evans on Sunday, other than the 10:45 traffic jam, would the community notice? In other words, is your church making an impact in the community? Is my church?

As I met with a group of teenagers last night, we were talking about what God cares about. They came up with several things - racism, hatred, starvation. I asked them what they were going to do about it. They also complained that adults don't take teens seriously, that many of them think teens are just troublemakers. I asked them what they were going to do about THAT. So, they now have a challenge for the summer.

Here's yours: many people think Christians are hypocrites, as we would rather blame people for the world's ills than fix them. At the same time, people are hurting and broken all around us. What is your church going to do about that? What is ours going to do about that? A challenge for this summer.

1 comment:

Mrs. Benton said...

I know that I have challeneged myself to get to know everyone in my day to day life. My neighbors, my Starbucks barista and any one that I come in contact with. Not just to know their name, but to know their lives also and to pray for them. It has been a little stretch to stop being introverted and start to be more Christlike and love the people.

T-Rock