Monday, March 2, 2009

Friday at NAHBS

So, I spent a good portion of my day last Friday at the North American Handbuilt Bicycle Show in Indianapolis. What a day! I went in with no particular agenda, nor any desire for a new bicycle, but I sure left with one. First, some highlights.

Of course, there were great looking bikes, like this Townie:



But, there were also things you don't see everyday, like this wild bamboo ride from Calfee Designs:



Most of the displays were bikes, but there were some components. Like these Rasta headsets from Chris King:



There were other, more practical ideas, too. Let's say you find yourself as the stoker on a tandem. You get thirsty, but you're not really the water type. Instead, you want something with a little kick. Well, CoMotion has you covered:



But my favorite, by far, was the fixie from Courage out of Portland. I talked to the owner, Aaron, for a while, and he was a great guy. Plus, he made beautiful bikes. Look at this:



I mean, look at the detail on this dropout:



Beautiful. Lots of fun. Now, if I just had $2,200. For the frame and fork only. Well, someday...

No comments: