Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Choose this day...

"...But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD." -Joshua 24:15

I have this stenciled in my living room, "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." And, for the most part, I have chosen that. I read my bible daily, go to church every Sunday, I'm involved in kids' lives, and really try to serve Him. So, why is it that I still need to choose each day whom I will serve? It seems like some days, I really want to serve my paycheck, or I want to serve my flesh, or I want to serve my stomach or my bank account. Usually, I really just want to serve ME!

I once heard someone say about marriage that you only have to choose to be faithful once, then you manage that decision daily. That way, you don't have to choose to be faithful each time you are tempted to stray. I've done a great job of that with my marriage. But maybe we need the same attitude for God. I chose one time to serve Him, now I will manage that decision daily. Then, I won't have to choose each day.

No comments: