Thursday, December 4, 2008

Should everyone read the whole bible?

This question first entered my mind last week when, in a meeting, someone compared being wishy-washy at work to what Jesus says in Revelation about the church at Laodicea: "So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth." -Revelation 3:16. Now, this is an important verse, and is instructinoal to followers of Christ. But, it may not be useful to bring up in a room full of people who don't know Christ.

Then, last night during my devotional time, I read this:
"I, Simon Peter, am a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ. I write this to you whose experience with God is as life-changing as ours, all due to our God's straight dealing and the intervention of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ." -2 Peter 1:1 (The Message)

This got me thinking- Peter wrote this letter to believers. Should we encourage non-believers to read it? If they do, will they get it? Should non-believers read Leviticus before they understand how it relates to the grace offered through the life and death of Jesus Christ? Would it be helpful or hurtful?

Don't get me wrong- I know "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness." But is all scripture useful to all people at all points on their faith journey? As Christ followers/ teachers/ shepherds, is part of our responsibility to point people to the right parts of scripture for their level of understanding and belief?

Just something I've struggled with lately. Feel free to weigh in.

2 comments:

Mrs. Benton said...

I think that all believers should read the whole Bible every year. I feel this way because it is part of why we are believers and to know it is very important. Also if you read yearly you will be surprised that something you read last year will hit you differently the next year.
And that is where the different points of your faith journey come into play. If you are not reading your Bible yearly plus studying are you merely playing Bible roulette? Turn the pages and point to a passage.....maybe it will hit you where you need it? YOU DON'T NEED TO DO THAT IF YOU ARE ALREADY READING. Then you know where to look for things that you are currently going through.

I do feel that it is important to point people to that right place in scripture but when do we cross the line and become an enabler and not an encourager. We could always spout out our wisdom but shouldn't we push others to know it too. When do we stop doing our child’s homework?

Now for non-believers I think that it is up to them, if the Bible intrigues them I do believe that God can use it. Although it may be disturbing if they don't know the whole story. I also think that if we are going to encourage them to read it we should be prepared to help them through it.

Jim Vieceli said...

Steve-

If you haven't already, read this article. I think in the context of what you are saying here, it might provide an interesting twist.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/172653