Monday, April 7, 2008

Of faith and famous people

So, I finally got to meet Rob Bell yesterday. Now, I've gone to a lot of places where Rob was. I've seen him speak at Catalyst. I got tickets to see him in Indianapolis last fall. I've read his books and listened to his sermons, but yesterday was the day I finally got to meet him. We're on vacation in Scottsdale, Arizona, and I saw him (and his wife and boys) in a Borders bookstore. It's weird running into people in places like that. I desperately wanted to tell him how much his teaching has meant to me, how I've used it in our church, but all I could get out is, "Hey man, I just read Sex God on the plane coming out here. Which was true. But I didn't tell him I was using it for sermon prep. I didn't tell him that a lot of us use his stuff for sermon prep. All I could say was, "thanks." Now, I've met a lot of famous people- governors, atheletes, race car drivers, authors (in fact, I saw Reggie Miller formerly of the Pacers at the Indy airport yesterday- but I don't usually get starstruck. For some reason, I was with Rob. So, anyway, if you ever read this, Rob, I really just wanted to say, "thanks."

We got off the plane yesterday and immediately headed for South Mountain Park in Phoenix, where we took a two hour hike from Buena Vista down to Hidden valley. It offered breathtaking views of the whole Phoenix metropolis. About every 100 feet, I'd jump as a lizard ran into the brittlebush and made it sound just like a rattlesnake. But, the amazing things to me were the rocks. Huge boulders, the size of two or three tractor trailers, perched precariously on top of other boulders equally hefty. Benetta and I were pondering, how did they get there, how long have they been there, how long will they be there, once they fall, how long will it take to get to the canyon bottom? Then, a thought occurred to me. Jesus said if we have as little faith as a mustard seed, we could move that rock. So, I said, "Rock, go jump in a lake". Nothing happened. I knew it wouldn't. That's the thing about faith. When we ask for something, knowing it won't happen, that isn't faith. It doesn't take faith to ask - it takes faith to believe. Faith to believe that...

rocks will get up and move

your friend will be healed of her cancer

my kids will grow up to be normal, productive humans

God is bigger than I am

Rob Bell is a nice guy and won't think I'm stalking him if I just say, "hi."


Peace.

No comments: