Friday, April 11, 2008

And how blessed all those in whom you live,
whose lives become roads you travel;
They wind through lonesome valleys, come upon brooks,
discover cool springs and pools brimming with rain!
God-traveled, these roads curve up the mountain, and
at the last turn—Zion! God in full view! - Psalm 84:5-7 (The Message)

I love this idea that the roads God travels are the lives of those in whom he lives. In an earlier post, I talked about the idea that God resides with us on the earth, but that God lives in us and travels the paths of our lives with us should give great hope.

As we hiked up Camelback mountain in Scottsdale a few days ago, my wife was worn out. She was ready to quit at any moment. And, we got to the bend where I was sure she was done, and we started seeing people coming down... people who had passed us on the way up, and it gave us hope. Look, we each thought silently, they traveled the same trail we have, and they made it and are on their way back. I really think this, more than anything, gave her the strength and encouragement to make it to the top on her own. If we can be encouraged by other people making it to the top of a piddly little hike, how much more encouraged, then, should we be knowing God walks the roads of our lives with us. When we ask God into our hearts, He sends His spirit to come live in us and live our lives with us. I can rest in assurance that anything I go through, anything I do, anything I encounter, I am not alone.

No comments: