Friday, November 21, 2008

The fine art of self-denial

"Even now," declares the LORD,
"return to me with all your heart,
with fasting and weeping and mourning."
Rend your heart
and not your garments.
Return to the LORD your God,
for he is gracious and compassionate,
slow to anger and abounding in love,
and he relents from sending calamity.- Joel 2:12-13

Why don't we fast more? I mean, I talk/write/complain a lot about how I want to be more like Him and less like me. So, why am I not willing to set my needs aside and focus on the needs of others? Why is it that I'm so obsessed with feeding my appetite, that nothing gets in the way? Not prayer, not tragedy, not sorrow... nothing.

Fasting yesterday, I learned again that (1) It's surprisingly easy, and (2) It really does change my focus from my desires to His desires. Since I've told you all I was fasting, I know my reward for it won't be in heaven. But, it was important enough for me to put this thought out to challenge you to try it, and to hold myself accountable.

Next time you're struggling... really struggling and seeking God's will, try denying yourself for a while. He'll show up.

No comments: