Friday, October 31, 2008

I always thought Jeremiah was a bullfrog...

Yesterday, I finished the book of Jeremiah- first time, all the way through. I always thought Jeremiah would be encouraging, uplifting because the only verse I knew by heart was this one...

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.- Jeremiah 29:11

Unfortunately, what I realized is that Jeremiah is full of warnings and, at the end, disaster for the Jewish people. After reflecting for a day or two, I did get a couple of lessons out of it.

(1) It is not always easy to hear from God. Jeremiah knew what would happen and tried to warn the people, but he was often ignored and persecuted. God often tells us things we don't want to hear. If we're not careful, we can use that as an excuse not to listen. But, God's ways are always perfect, so we shouldn't let the fear of bad news, or things unknown, stop us from asking and listening.

(2) We can't change anyone's life. Oh, we can beg and plead and warn and spew hellfire and brimstone. But we can't change anyone. Only God can. No matter what we know or what we hear, it's up to God to change someone's heart. Does this mean we shouldn't teach what is right? No, we are absolutely commanded to teach God's ways. It does mean, though, that we need to be aware that sometimes His teachings will be accepted and understood, and sometimes they will fall on deaf ears.

These two lessons were helpful for me. I hope they are for you.

Peace.

No comments: