Monday, October 6, 2008

How do you know how to serve?

This is my life work: helping people understand and respond to this Message. It came as a sheer gift to me, a real surprise, God handling all the details. When it came to presenting the Message to people who had no background in God's way, I was the least qualified of any of the available Christians. God saw to it that I was equipped, but you can be sure that it had nothing to do with my natural abilities. -Ephesians 3:7-8 (the Message)

I love the humility in Paul's words here - "I was the least qualified of any of the available Christians." But more than that, I love the power and compassion and humor of God to take someone who's unqualified, call him to ministry, then qualify him. Can I suggest that this goes completely counter to how we often do things in ministry. So often, we look for what we're good at, then decide to serve in an area that requires someone with our strengths.

What if, though- what if we instead decided to listen to God's call for our lives, then turned ourselves off so that God could work in us and qualify us for the ministry he's called us to? In other words, what if we were so obedient to His voice that we followed Him no matter where He led us, and allowed Him to gift us with the abilities required to fulfill His calling?

How powerful could the church be for Christ if everyone's primary objective were to listen to God?

1 comment:

Mrs. Benton said...

My heart is pounding so much reading that last question. I can only imagine what that will look like, for the body to function as a whole!