Monday, February 23, 2009

Outliers and it's implications

I just finished Malcolm Gladwell's new book, Outliers. The premise of the book is that outliers, or those people who are so far above average in some area as to be considered an anomaly, usually have had more opportunity than normal folks. In fact, what we often attribute to hard work, talent, and skill is often the result, instead, of more opportunities to succeed than average people. Even though outliers generally are more skilled, talented, lucky, or smarter than average people, Godin suggests, they have had more opportunity.

Bill Gates is a multi-billionaire because he's brilliant, yes. But he's not the MOST brilliant person/businessman in the world. However, he was born at exactly the right time for a young man interested in computers, and the circumstances of his life were such that he had an extraordinary amount of programming hours before he ever went to Harvard (the results of which are well-documented). The Beatles were huge in the US because of their talent and looks, yes, but they also spent an inordinant amount of time perfecting their craft in the strip clubs of Hamburg, Germany. Opportunity matters.

And, so it is with spiritual growth. The most mature, grounded Christians I know aren't necessarily the smartest, or most talented, so that they can read a passage of the Bible and immediately understand it. But, they do make the most of opportunities to read it- and create opportunities in their lives to spend time with God.

So, it is with some trepidation that I announce my plans for Lent. No, I'm not Catholic. But, I find I don't do a good job of self-denial, and the 40-day period leading up to Easter is a great excuse for me to focus on something else besides feeding my desires. So this year, in lieu of last year's failed attempt to give up caffeine, I am fasting from TV. Starting this Wednesday, Ash Wednesday, I will go 40 days with no television. No The Office. No March Madness. No Redbox. Nothing to soften my brain.



During the next 40 days, there will be one less thing to prevent me from having opportunity to interact with my creator and savior.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Peace.

No comments: