Thursday, May 15, 2008

Preparing for God knows what

"Master," said David, "don't give up hope. I'm ready to go and fight this Philistine."
Saul answered David, "You can't go and fight this Philistine. You're too young and inexperienced—and he's been at this fighting business since before you were born."
David said, "I've been a shepherd, tending sheep for my father. Whenever a lion or bear came and took a lamb from the flock, I'd go after it, knock it down, and rescue the lamb. If it turned on me, I'd grab it by the throat, wring its neck, and kill it. Lion or bear, it made no difference—I killed it. And I'll do the same to this Philistine pig who is taunting the troops of God-Alive. God, who delivered me from the teeth of the lion and the claws of the bear, will deliver me from this Philistine."
Saul said, "Go. And God help you!" - 1 Samuel 17:32-37

One of the things I love about the story of David was how he waited on the Lord. In this case, up against Goliath, David seemed to have no trouble looking back at all the seemingly mundane things that happened in his life and knowing that they had prepared him for this very moment.
I mean, before this ever happened, we know that God had annointed David to be the next king of Israel. It woul have been easy for him to excuse himself from his shepherding duties in order to push forward toward being king. Instead, David was faithful with the little tasks he needed to do (tending sheep, killing lions and bears), and that faithfulness prepared him for the major task of killing Goliath and saving the nation of Israel. We know, of course, that this task made David famous among all of Israel (and even today), and was a defining moment in his becoming king.
There is a great parallel here to the story of Joseph, I think. In Joseph's case, he had a dream early in his life that he would rule over his brothers and his father. But, rather than push that dream, he was faithful in the little things God gave him to do. When sold into slavery, Joseph became the very best slave he knew how to be, and he was promoted to run the household. When put in prison, he was a model prisoner, and ended up being appointed to be in charge of the other inmates. All of this led to Joseph's life being preserved so that he is eventually made second in command in Egypt and is able to save the nation of Israel.
My tendancy, and maybe yours, is not to wait. My tendancy is to see what I want and run headlong into it, forgetting what little things I might need to do. Why bother doing well at my job, if God has something bigger for me down the road? Why should I help pick up toys? Why bring my wife flowers, since God has already shown me how much she loves me?
Jesus said he who is faithful with little things will be faithful with much. I need to do a much better job of waiting on God and being faithful in the little things.

No comments: