Saturday, March 29, 2008

Why I'm a trail runner

I violated cardinal rules #1 and #2 today. First- don't try out new shoes during a race. Second- don't try out new socks during a race. Well, I went against my better judgement today and did both. I ran in my brand new SmartWool trail running socks and Vasque Velocity shoes. The results were not pretty. In the store, the shoes felt great. They were fast and smooth, and fit perfectly. Of course, the story is always a little different on the trail. By mile 6, my toes were cramping up. By 8, I was ready to quit and, in fact, told the volunteers on the course I was dropping out. They said that I would need to go tell the finish line personnel. On my way to the finish line, I heard "only 1.5 miles to go for the 15k racers." I decided, heck, I could crawl 1.5 miles, so started walking with my toes curled up, then running, then just walking up hills and before I knew it, I was done.

But this morning reminded me of exactly why I'm a trail runner:
(1) How else can you get a good workout, be in nature, eat more than you should, and come home muddy?
(2) There's nothing like hoping to God your shoes have enough traction to grip the trail as you barrel full speed down a sloppy hill and attempt to turn the corner while perched precariously 25 feet above the raging river below.
(3) I have a secret fetish for safety pins
(4) In 13 years of running road races, I've never lost a shoe in a mud hole.
(5) Trees smell better than my health club.

No comments: